Thursday 8 November 2012

GAPS diet complex carbohydrate substitutes

I am all for enjoying a food for what it is, but that said, I find that sometimes you just crave the old stuff.  Here is my round up of carb substitutes:

Mashed potato ~ Mashed cauliflower
(with lemon; don't know why but the lemon seems to make it taste more like potato)

Rice noodles ~ Spaghetti squash
(people always seem to think spag. squash is a sub for wheat pasta...it so isn't...see below)

Wheat pasta ~ Lentils
(in the old days I used a great wheat pasta made with lentils; sadly I can't have that anymore but for some reason that lentil flavor seems to work well)

Crostini ~ Garlic rubbed eggplant
(rub with garlic, grill, and dip in oil and wine vinegar)

Pasta and potatoes in minestrone soup ~ Well cooked carrots and slightly cooked leeks

Burger Buns ~ Portobello caps
(only works for haute burgers, with a knife and fork)

Am I missing any?  Leave a comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment