I posted some time ago about never having attempted to make a home made ferment. I tried a few this summer and fall with varying degrees of success:
Pickles: this was the first ferment I attempted and it went ok. They were over salted and not as tart as I would like, so I think in future I would limit the amount of salt and let them sit on the counter longer.
Turnips and Beets: accidentally spilled too much salt into the jar, so, like the pickles, these are not tart enough and are over salted. They look pretty though.
Carrots: these worked really great. I shredded about four carrots in the food processor, added about a teaspoon of salt and filled the jar up with water. After about five days on the counter they were perfect, probably because of all the sugar in carrots. They make a really tasty crunchy topping for other recipes. I'm really enjoying them.
Sauerkraut: I just made two jars today with the remainder of a cabbage I bought for another recipe. (One cabbage is way too much for one person without at least three recipes in mind.) I added a little bit of liquid from the carrot ferment to the sauerkraut jars, and very little salt. We'll see how it goes.